How do I swap a single column value in SQL?
UPDATE TestTable SET Col1 = Col2, Col2 = Col1; When you run above update statement, the values of the columns will be swapped in SQL Server.
How do I swap two values in the same row in SQL?
To swap two columns, we can apply the below swapping logic.
- Add both values and store them into the first column.
- Subtract the first column’s value from the second and store it into the second column.
- Subtract the first column’s value from the updated second column and store it into the first.
How can I swap two values in the same column in Oracle?
Interchange the Values of 2 Columns
- Alter table employee and add a new column TEMP_NAME to it.
- Update the values of LAST_NAME to TEMP_NAME.
- Update the LAST_NAME with the values of FIRST_NAME.
- Update the FIRST_NAME with the values of TEMP_NAME.
- Drop the column TEMP_NAME.
How do you change a value in a database?
UPDATE table SET X=Y, Y=X will do precisely what you want (edit: in PostgreSQL, not MySQL, see below). The values are taken from the old row and assigned to a new copy of the same row, then the old row is replaced. You do not have to resort to using a temporary table, a temporary column, or other swap tricks.
How do I swap values in SQL?
How to Swap Column Values in SQL
- create table coordinates ( x integer, y integer ); insert into coordinates (x, y) values (5, 12); select * from coordinates;
- update coordinates set x = y, y = x; select * from coordinates;
- update coordinates set x = (@temp := x), x = y, y = @temp;
How do you swap values between two variables in SQL?
How to Swap Values of Two Columns in SQL Server
- create table Student.
- StudentID Int identity primary key,
- FirstName varchar(30),
- LastName varchar(30),
- Marks Int.
- Insert into Student(FirstName,LastName,Marks) Values(‘Nitin’,’Tyagi’,400)
How do I rename a column in SQL?
SQL Rename Column Syntax
- ALTER TABLE “table_name” Change “column 1” “column 2” [“Data Type”];
- ALTER TABLE “table_name” RENAME COLUMN “column 1” TO “column 2”;
- ALTER TABLE Customer CHANGE Address Addr char(50);
- ALTER TABLE Customer RENAME COLUMN Address TO Addr;
What is decode function in SQL?
What is DECODE function in SQL? In Oracle, DECODE function allows us to add procedural if-then-else logic to the query. DECODE compares the expression to each search value one by one. If expression is equal to a search, then the corresponding result is returned by the Oracle Database.
Can distinct command be used for more than one column?
Answer. Yes, the DISTINCT clause can be applied to any valid SELECT query. It is important to note that DISTINCT will filter out all rows that are not unique in terms of all selected columns.
How do you swap in Oracle?
Solution is mathematical calculation: UPDATE TEMP_TABLE SET ID1=ID1+ID2; UPDATE TEMP_TABLE SET ID2=ID1-ID2; UPDATE TEMP_TABLE SET ID1=ID1-ID2; Now, I am trying to figure out whether this can be applied to Strings or not, please suggest.
How do I swap rows in SQL?
A Simple, Scalable Solution
- You can do two-row swaps, many-row swaps, and copies. It’s flexible.
- Specify as many destination/source row pairs as needed. …
- Specify the columns you want to be copied over. …
- There’s no temporary table to clean up.
- It’s easy to reuse since the row IDs are listed in a single, obvious place.